Monday 3 March 2014

Gulf Station


Last Sunday, my family and I went to Gulf Station, which is a little National Trust Farm about an hours drive from Melbourne. I pushed myself to go having spent all of Saturday on my feet until about 3am. However, I knew it would be a lovely day since they were having volunteers give examples of work around the farm.

There were big Clydesdale horses and tiny Shetland ponies, sheep being sheered, and chickens running a muck... wonderfully farmish!

It was nice to be able to wander around and get to see a woman ironing with the old, heavy, black irons. First, putting wax on it and then wiping it off on a scrap so the clean linens don't get dirty. The old clothes on the line was a nice touch as well. 

Along with the many barns and covered areas, there was a quaint little farm house. The house was lightly furnished and purposefully left in mild disrepair in places so you could see the foundations. It was really cool seeing the beams and construction.

Just before we left we saw some blackberry bushes back in a ditch and picked some for blackberry apple pie. Yum!

While the trip was a wonderful experience, it was nice to get back home and take off my boots after walking all around the farm.






















No comments:

Post a Comment